Thursday, August 9-Sunday, August 12, 2018, times vary
Cube Fest, August 9-12, 2018, is a spatial music festival with performances for the public and a VIP package of hands-on, behind-the-scenes, and creative opportunities for fellow revolutionists. Cube Fest will bring together a group of 20 international audio technology experts, computer engineers, music technology experts, musicians, and composers who will present performances of original compositions created for the Cube and preexisting works, including music by the late David Bowie.
Virginia Tech’s Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology (ICAT) is on the front line leading a revolution in sound with a unique resource at their fingertips—the Cube in the Moss Arts Center. A four-story, high-tech venue and laboratory, the Cube is outfitted with 149 multichannel audio speakers, a robust motion capture system, and a two-story-tall, 360-degree immersive projection screen called the Cyclorama, making it the only facility of its kind in the world. Artists, musicians, scientists, and researchers from around the globe visit the Cube to be part of this revolution.
Featured Cube Fest 2018 guest artists:
- Christopher Willits: Grammy-nominated guitarist and producer Christopher Willits occupies a unique corner of the music universe—hovering above the intersection of electronic production's nuts and bolts and a wide-open creative mind. He has produced more than 25 albums in the last 15 years and is the co-founder of spatial audio/3D sound platform Envelop as well as the creative collective Overlap.
- Dustin Wong & Takako Minekawa: Based in Tokyo, Japan, fusion musicians Dustin Wong and Takako Minekawa “use their considerable technical skill to create the psychedelic, surreal, and conceptual” (ThrillJockey).
- Anna & Elizabeth: Anna & Elizabeth honor Appalachian artistry and shed new light upon tradition. Elizabeth LaPrelle is an acclaimed ballad singer from Rural Retreat, Virginia, and Anna Roberts-Gevalt is a Baltimore-based multi-instrumentalist.
The Cube Fest VIP package grants you exclusive access to Cube Fest artists, engineers, and creators, as well as behind-the-scenes and hands-on opportunities and special events.
- Reserved seating at all events (6 ticketed performances, 2 workshops), Thursday, August 9, through Sunday, August 12
- Private meet-and-greet opportunities with guest artists Anna & Elizabeth, Christopher Willits, and Dustin Wong & Takako Minekawa
- Exclusive behind the scenes, hands-on “play in the Cube” experience, Friday, August 10
- Welcome reception, Friday, August 10
- Destination dinner with festival leadership, Saturday, August 11
Limited rooms are being held at special rates at the following hotels. For the special rate, please call and use the code “Cube Fest 2018."
- Inn at Virginia Tech, 1-877-200-3360
- Main Street Inn, 540-552-6246